Families & Students

Advice on Important College Topics for Students With Learning Disabilities or ADHD and Their Families

Elizabeth’s published and posted advice on how best to prepare students with disabilities for success at college

Read some of Elizabeth Hamblet’s college transition and other advice from various media outlets:

Even though you may have heard different, IEPs and 504 plans are not valid at college.  Learn more here.
Students who have attended private schools or been home-schooled won’t be denied college accommodations simply because they don’t have an IEP or 504 plan. See why here.
Recent announcements about documentation by the Department of Justice, Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), and The College Board (regarding the S.A.T.) have caused confusion about what documentation students may need at college.  Learn more about these developments.

Applying for accommodations for a learning disability, ADHD, or other disability on high stakes testing or at college

When students apply for accommodations on the SAT, ACT, or at their college, the testing agency (ex. The College Board) or university will typically have a list of requirements for what their paperwork – called “documentation” – should contain. Elizabeth offers information on a variety of topics related to documentation:

  • Finding documentation requirements – each testing agency or college will have its own requirements. Student should check these before sending their paperwork in.
  • Items to read for carefully – some documentation requirements may ask for items families have not considered. See what kinds of special requirements may be included.
  • Different ADHD documentation – students with ADHD may find that the paperwork that has sufficed for documentation in high school may not meet their college’s or testing board’s requirements. They should check Item #5 on the page concerning finding documentation requirements.
  • Finding a qualified evaluator – find a professional who offers a report worthy of the expense
  • Get high-quality private testing – how to get a good report when you pay for a private evaluation

For more on documentation and accommodations at college, read Elizabeth’s book, From High School to College: Steps to Success for Students with Disabilities.

College’s foreign language and math requirements – what high school students with disabilities need to know

Students with disabilities who are planning to go to college or who are already enrolled need to know that math and foreign language requirements may not be waived, and substitutions may not be available. But there are ways to be strategic about approaching these requirements. See what Elizabeth thinks students should know about these courses.

Tools and advice for college students with disabilities

Students who are getting ready to enroll or are already enrolled at college should see Elizabeth’s section of resources and advice just for them.

Books by other authors recommended by Elizabeth

See the list of books by other authors.